Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Back to Normal

It seems like things are settling back to normalcy again.  I'm feeling much better--though not quite 100%.  My mom arrived on Monday morning, and has been a tremendous help!  I want to help out, but it's also really good to be able to rest and relax and recuperate completely.  She'll leave next Wednesday, so I hope to be back to fully functioning by then.

Ella is doing wonderfully.  We had another appointment with the pediatrician on Monday, and I was ecstatic to learn that she had regained her birth weight--and then some.  I don't know if I mentioned that she was a tiny bit jaundiced at her first appointment, but that has worked itself out at this point as well.  They weren't concerned at all about her umbilical cord falling off so soon, and said it looks totally fine.  When I told the pediatrician about my ordeal, he was impressed that I was able to keep my milk supply up.  He explained that when a mother's body undergoes trauma, that it does what it can to survive, even if it means saying goodbye to the milk.  This thought hadn't even crossed my mind--but I'm so grateful that I've been sticking to a routine so as to sufficiently build up my supply.

Yesterday, a family friend from back home came over to take newborn pictures of Ella.  This was a shower gift, and she happened to be in the area to visit her parents, so it worked out perfectly.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures, and I'll be sure to post some here as well when we get them.

At this point, I'm feeling pretty good--not just physically, but emotionally as well.  I admit that I had a bit of a meltdown on Sunday when we came back from the hospital.  I knew that I had done everything I could to care for Ella, but I was still worried that it wasn't enough.  Everyday is better than the last, and it really feels like my husband and I are....dare I say..."succeeding" as new parents.  I know we're not perfect, and we'll make plenty of mistakes along the way.  But it feels like we're a good team, and that makes me happy.

Today's blessing is knowing that my very-dear friend's Baby Boy will arrive today!  She was induced last night, and I have been glued to my cell phone ever since, waiting for updates.  They are expecting him to be a big baby--he was already measuring at approximately 8 lbs, 2 oz a week or two ago!  So please pray for a safe delivery for her and the baby.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I just got back from out of town. I had no idea what you had gone through and I am so glad to hear you are ok! Take good care of yourself and let everyone help A LOT. Glad to hear Ella is thriving too. You did amazing to even care for her at all through that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad a sense of normalcy is returning! Can't wait to see those newborn pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are starting to feel better. Praying you'll be 100% soon. Can not wait to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!