Saturday, March 12, 2011

Single

My husband left this morning for a week in Korea, which makes me a single mom for the next seven days.

When he first told me that he would be gone this week, I was initially disappointed that he would be gone during Spring Break.  Unlike my students, I don't automatically get the week off...but it is usually a good time to take a day or two of vacation with him because everything slows down.  However, with my new position, things don't appear to be slowing down!  So instead, I'll work the whole week and hope to leave a little earlier than usual each day since I'll be doing our evening routine sans husband.

I admit that there have been times when I felt that my husband wasn't pulling his weight in caring for Ella.  He's so squeamish about bodily fluids that I could probably count the number of times that he's changed her diaper on both hands (okay, maybe both hands and feet).  And since we're still exclusively breastfeeding, he's off the hook in the feeding responsibilities.  But he is the primary bottle-washer every single night, and it makes my life so much easier.  And he adores Ella, and loves to play with her and teach her new things.  Having the extra set of hands is pretty vital when I'm trying to prepare dinner and she's starting to do her "I'm getting tired and hungry" sort of fussing.  Even with two parents, we're pretty much go-go-go from the moment we get home to the moment we go to bed.  I know that I'll survive without him (it's only a week, right?), but I'm sure going to make sure he knows how much I appreciate him when he returns!

Today's blessing is the absolutely gorgeous Spring weather that we're having here in the desert!  Ella and I went for a long walk today, and you couldn't ask for better weather!  Sure, it gets hot in the Summer, but we're loving it for now!

1 comment:

I love to hear what you think!