Saturday, July 24, 2010

He, He, He, Hooo

Yep--we went to our first Lamaze class today.  Due to our schedule with summer vacations and my husband's travel for work, it just fit better for us to do one of the long weekend classes instead of the weekly courses.

I was pleased with the amount of information that we received today.  However, I left thinking "I may want to try to do a natural birth".  What?!?!  All along, I've just been saying "I'll do whatever my doctor recommends".  And ultimately--I do think that I will do whatever my doctor recommends.  I trust her, and I appreciate her knowledge, instinct, and care.  But the instructor made some great arguments today for a natural birth, and how pain medication can inhibit various parts of the natural cycle and cause complications for the baby (granted, some complications just can't be avoided).  After our experience, bringing this Baby Girl into this world safely and in the most healthy way possible is my #1 goal.  If I suffer a little more in the process...I guess I'll just have to try to remind myself that it's all worth it for her.  But like I said--I trust my doctor, so if she recommends something for the pain and/or to make it easier for the baby, then I'll go with it (so please don't consider me a hypocrite if I come back two months telling a different story).  And who knows--tomorrow's discussion apparently revolves around the various medical interventions possible, so perhaps she'll change my mind (or should I say "help me make up my mind"?).

I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.  And I've heard from some women that suffering through their miscarriages was sometimes more painful (in a somewhat different way) than the contractions leading up to giving birth.  For starters, unlike a miscarriage, you have the joy and exhilaration to which to look forward in a birth, which can take away from the physical pain.  My first and third losses (at 12 and 10 weeks, respectively) were pretty rough.  If I could get through those experiences with empty arms, I'm hoping that I can tolerate the pain of a God-designed natural childbirth if it means holding a happy and healthy baby in my arms.

Today's blessing was a sweet experience during the relaxation portion of the class.  I was sitting between my husband's legs, leaning back against his chest, with his chin resting on the top of my head.  The instructor led the group through two different relaxation techniques, and halfway through the second one, I could feel my husband's chin getting heavier and heavier on the top of my head.  Sure enough, he was so relaxed that he fell asleep.  It just made me feel amazingly safe and amazingly happy to have the man that I love so relaxed behind me, and the Baby Girl that we love safely in my belly and under my hands.  I thank God for blessing me with the the two of them.

5 comments:

  1. Since you are thinking about trying natural birth, I have a few resources for you :) You need to get the book Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. There are also a few videos on Netflix I suggest, including Orgasmic Birth, Pregnant in America and the Business of Being Born. All of these resources will give you the tools you need to have a successful natural childbirth. Also check out the site spinningbabies.com - they have ideas for labor positions to help with pain and to move the baby naturally if you need to... Also, I hear of people using Hypnobabies very successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second 'The Business of Being Born'! I had a natural birth with Cameron - not by choice I don't think...it's just that I was at a 7 (!) by the time I got to the hospital and it was too late for any of that. It was hard, but pretty dang rewarding when it's all said and done. Just keep an open mind and just go as far as you feel you can! There's no shame in taking the drugs! :)

    I can't believe the two of us are only 3 weeks apart! If you are like me you must be getting so anxious by now! Keep up the good work, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to start the Lamaze classes! You're getting closer!

    Have you heard anything else from Janet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that whatever you decide on in terms of childbirth will be what's best for you and your little girl. However, if you do choose to go natural just know that you are strong and you can do it.

    As for the cloth diapers, I am currently using unbleached indian cotton pre-folds with Bummi's super whisper wrap covers. I also have Gro-Via Hybrids which I intend on using once she is about 3-4 months. If you have any questions at all (as all the different varieties and opinions on diapers is mad confusing) just shoot me an e-mail. Dverhague@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natural childbirth was painful and fantastic. Because my first was so fast I was unable to get any medical interventions like I had planned. (I'm okay with not being a hero) With my second the doctor ordered an epidural to "slow" labor down so they had some time to prepare. While, I'm glad I've had the experience of natural childbirth, I have to say my second delivery was much more enjoyable and I remember it much more clearly. No haze of pain - until the end (nobody tells you that come push time epidurals don't work) - just a couple of hours of hanging out with my mom and husband waiting for the arrival.
    Just know that whatever happens will result in the birth of your baby girl, and regardless of how you choose to endure labor - nobody is judging you. Everyone who knows (or in my case just stalks your blog) is praying for you and your daughter and your husband. However it goes will be your story, and a memorable one at that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!