Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back to School

I still have Friday on the calendar...and I've already worked more than 40 hours this week. I worked 12 hour days on both Tuesday and Wednesday without much of a lunch break. My feet are killing me (though the rest of my legs are finally feeling a bit better after pulling weeds and moving rocks). It takes an extra ten minutes to get home from work if I don't leave exactly when I'm supposed to. Yes, it must be the first week of classes.

It's been super busy, but so far it's off to a good start. I've got some great student leaders to rely on, and I've really been trying to delegate responsibilities to them lately. I admit that I'm still rather "hands on", but I have been trying to relinquish a little bit of the control to which I tend to cling. I have to remind myself that it's really my job to "empower" them rather than "direct" them.

But I feel so bad on my first day home before 6:00 pm...that I chose to stay home and pick up the house instead of going to my husband's softball game with him. I normally love going with him and cheering for his team, but I've been getting home so late all week and just crashing, that I feel like I needed a moment to get caught up on my domestic obligations. So although I really wish that I was with him right now, I do hope that he appreciates a tidy house when he returns (notice I say "tidy" but not "clean"...I don't think I have that much energy).

My blessing for the last few days has been my supervisor. If this first week is tough for me, it's even more crazy for her. And yet she's been such a great support to not only me, but everyone else in the office. In particular, she has helped me put out a couple of little fires that could have totally exploded into huge issues, and always does so with so much patience. She's a true woman of faith, and I'm so blessed to have her as a supervisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!