Monday, August 16, 2010

My "Happy Birthday" Hand-Washing Routine

Have you heard the rule of thumb about how you should sing through the "Happy Birthday" song twice while washing your hands to ensure that your hands are sufficiently clean?  Well, supposedly that's what you're supposed to do--at least according to all of the various health announcements that we received back during the cold and flu season...right around the same time that we found out that we were pregnant.  So that's what I've been doing ever since.  I was so determined not to get sick and jeopardize our pregnancy in any way (I made it through the traditional cold and flu season, although I did catch that nasty summer head cold).

But I admit that I've struggled with the second-to-last line that says "Happy Birthday, dear (fill in the name here)" since we (still) haven't picked a name (we're not really any closer yet, either).  So instead, I've just replaced that line with "Happy Birthday in September" (I should mention--all of this singing is just going on in my head--I'm not really singing out loud...though that would be pretty funny, especially at work).  And then today, it dawned on me--September is just around the corner!  We're now more than halfway through August!  And since we're gearing up for the start of the new semester on Monday, I know that the rest of August is just going to fly by!  And then what?  I guess that I can keep singing "Happy Birthday in September"...but perhaps that's also our cue that we really need to start deciding on a name.  It will sure sound weird to sing "Happy Birthday, dear ..." for real (again, in my head), but oh how I look forward to singing it out loud to her each year!

Today's blessing was working late, but coming home to find out that my amazing husband had made dinner!  The house smelled wonderful, and it all tasted so good!

3 comments:

  1. How cute you changed the song! What a nice husband, I bet that was a relief after a long day at work. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it's very soon! :) I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that song when washing hands. When I was teaching for the first year, my husband called me a 'germ monster' and made me take a shower ever night before I crawled into the clean bed! Glad he's gotten over that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the song routine, good to know!!! September is almost here? I know how excited i am, you must be too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!