Thursday, August 26, 2010

Three Shoes in One Day

I have a secret stash of shoes underneath my desk at work.  Okay, it's really not a secret, but I at least try to keep them out of sight of my students.  I'm just a simple sandal girl...but they just don't quite fit the professional image that is expected in my office.  So I wear my sandals to and from work, and change into my heels or cute flats at the last moment possible. 

So this morning, I was expected to make an announcement in a class at 8:00 am.  The class was just down the hall from our office, so I wore my heels.  I had to give another announcement at 9:30 am--but this classroom was on the other side of campus, so I changed into a pair of flats for the walk.  The instructor--who I had ran into as I was leaving the first class in my heels--commented on how I had changed shoes, and I laughed it off that I wouldn't have attempted to walk across campus in heels, even if I weren't pregnant.  But apparently my feet have either grown or flattened out or are swollen, because my feet were totally rubbing by the time I got back to the office.  So for my third set of announcements--again, on the other side of campus--I gave up my attempt at a professional image and simply wore my sandals.  This totally humored the instructor, who was shocked to see me in my third pair of shoes in one day. 

I eventually made it back into my heels for the afternoon (we were conducting interviews, and I thought it best to look the part of a professional).  But I admit that it sure felt good to take them off at the end of the day!  I totally appreciate that my colleagues and superiors in my office are flexible with my wardrobe and shoe selection as I enter the last month of my pregnancy, but I also don't want to take it all for granted.  I guess I'll just continue to rotate through my options, depending on the venue.

Today's blessing was catching up on all my emails and feeling okay to leave my laptop at work--rather than bring work home with me.  Of course, I've checked my email from home, and I already have about a dozen new messages from students that I'll need to address in the morning.  But even so, it's nice to come home and have a nice evening with my husband (once he finished his fantasy football draft, that is) without feeling obligated to work.  I've got one more day of work before the weekend, and it's a blessing to know that things should be slowing down soon.

4 comments:

  1. Your shoe changing totally made me laugh today : ) Glad it is Friday! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I always keep my flip flops in my car and thankfully I don't have to do a lot of walking around at work (I sit in front of a laptop most of the day) but the moment I'm to my car the low heels/professional shoes come off and immediate relief of sinking my tired feet into my flip flops is the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, thats too funny. Hopefully they wont be so swollen once this head dies down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! And its always a relief to hear my husband isn't the only fantasy football addict. This year's draft took three hours!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!