Friday, November 19, 2010

Office Visit

I brought Ella into my office for the first time yesterday.  Aside from her little announcement that she was hungry about halfway through our visit, she was fabulous.  It took her a moment to warm up to having so many people want to see her, and I'm sure that the florescent lights probably didn't help either.  But soon enough, she was smiling and cooing for everyone.  While they IT guy updated my computer, she was perfectly content to just happily squirm on a blanket on the floor in my office, much to my delight.  Many people commented on how happy and content she was, which made me really proud of her (and myself).

The main purpose behind going in to the office was to attend a going-away party for a colleague who I really admire and respect, and will deeply miss when I return.  She has been with our college for 12 years, and is quite popular, so plenty of people were in attendance to wish her farewell and good luck.  I put Ella in the Baby Bjorn (which this colleague actually handed down to us, along with so many other helpful and thoughtful baby items), and she conked out and slept through most of the commotion.  She woke up--happy--when everyone quieted down for the "good-bye" part of the party, but patiently waited till it was time to head out.  Again, I was really proud of her for being so well behaved!  I was a little worried that she might have a meltdown and ruin the party, but all my worrying was for naught. 

It really was nice to visit with all of my colleagues again.  I know that I'm good at my job, so I do feel like I am contributing to society (or at least the university) through my work with my students...but like I said previously, I'm still dreading leaving Ella and going back to work.  At least it's nice to know that I'm missed and they will appreciate having me back when I do return in January.

It was such a blessing to attend the party and celebrate the 12 years that this colleague has contributed to our college.  She brought so much joy and energy to our office, and she will really be missed.  But she is leaving to pursue her dream of being a nurse, and I couldn't be more proud of her for listening to her heart.  I know that she will be wonderful in her new role. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for coming to my party and for bringing Ella (and cheesecake). I am so glad I got to spend some time with you and like you said, "this is not goodbye rather, I'll see you soon!"

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!