Tuesday, November 2, 2010

One Month Check-Up

It's hard to believe it...but we celebrated having Ella as part of our life for one month on Saturday.  It really has been such an amazing month.  Sure, I haven't had a lot of sleep (or many showers) this month, but I have my Ella!

She had her one month check-up with the pediatrician yesterday, and everything looks great.  She is up to 9 pounds, 2 ounces (from her original birth weight of 7pounds, 6 ounces) and has grown almost two inches (though she is still smaller than my very-dear friend's BIG little boy who was already 9 pounds at birth).   She seems to be experiencing mild cases of some of the typical baby issues--like baby acne and cradle cap--but like I said, they are pretty mild, so they should resolve themselves on their own.  The pediatrician also confirmed that she called for the results of the second round of newborn screening tests, and all of those--including the hypothyroidism--all came back normal.  All in all, it was a great appointment, and we'll go back in a month for the dreaded  immunizations ("dreaded" just because it will break my heart to see her in pain from her shots...I'm not here to debate the pros or cons of the perceived risks or benefits of immunizations).

I leave you with a picture from her the day she turned one month old:



Today's blessing was a good night's sleep for the last two nights in a row.  We all had a pretty rough night on Saturday night, where Ella just wanted to feed all the way from 2:00 am until I finally had to get ready for church around 6:00 am.  Once we got into a routine, she had been pretty good about sleeping for 3-4 hour chunks at night, so Saturday night was somewhat of an anomaly (or perhaps a growth spurt).  But it looks like we've gotten back to our "it's nighttime and it's time to sleep" schedule (still waking up every 3-4 hours to nurse, of course).  You don't realize just how much you value your sleep (even if it is interrupted) until you go a night without any!  But I know that God has graced me with His wisdom and patience in helping Ella get back to sleep.

4 comments:

  1. She is so sweet. Happy 1 month! It's went fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe it's been a month!! Where does the time go??? Happy 1 month beautiful Ella! Glad you are back to getting more sleep.

    For our first shot (delayed so only 1) my hubby stayed with Addy & I literally went outside until it was done! Was a big girl though & took her for her second one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing! I'm so happy that Ella is healthy and well. And that God's been giving you sufficient rest. I'm still learning how to soothe Madison to sleep. Happy 1 month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, she looks so much bigger. I look forward to seeing her again (and you, too) in a few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!