Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What a Pain in the...Hip?

Let me start by saying that I have been so extremely blessed to feel so good throughout my pregnancy.  I've had the occasional aches or pains here and there, but really--it has been such an amazing experience.

Then all of a sudden last night, I noticed a sharp and shooting pain that caused me to make the type of face that made my husband ask (excitedly) if it was a contraction.  I had to disappoint him and tell him that it was in my hip...or is it my groin?  I can't really tell exactly where it is.  Perhaps it's related to the sciatic nerve.  All I know is that it's deep and internal and I don't want to complain, but it hurts.  I had about three episodes of shooting pain last night throughout the course of the evening, but felt totally fine today at work, so thought that perhaps our Baby Girl had just hit a nerve somehow and then relocated to a more comfortable spot. 

But as soon as I got home today and started doing some yardwork, there it was again.  I have felt the pain again about a half-dozen times throughout the evening.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason--it happens when I'm standing at the counter, when I'm walking, when I'm sitting cross-legged, when I'm sitting with my feet elevated.  It only lasts for a fraction of a second, but wow!

Sure, it definitely hurts.  But part of me also can't help but hope that perhaps this means that "something" is happening.  Maybe our Baby Girl is starting to position herself for her grand entrance (I can only hope, right?).  I have another appointment tomorrow, so I'll be able to talk to my doctor about the pain and any other sort of update.

After waking up and feeling rather sluggish this morning, today's blessing was enough energy to make it through the work day and then even work on cleaning up the yard when I got home.  I let my husband do all of the bending over to pull weeds as I trimmed up the trees, but it really does look so much better.  It was really nice to spend some quality time with him outside, and we had a beautiful sunset while the moon was rising as our backdrop.

4 comments:

  1. oooh how exciting! sorry about your pain but it sounds like the 'opening credits' to Baby Girl's grand entrance hehehe - I too have been blessed with a great experience in pregnancy - minus a few back issues at the beginning - plus it doesn't hurt to have people keep telling me that I look great for being pregnant - are pregnant ppl not supposed to look good? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Good thing it came about so late in the pregnancy so you don't have to experience it very long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you are having weird pains. I'm curious about what the doctor will say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guess would be that as your little girl is dropping and positioning for birth she is pinching one of your nerves a bit. Sorry to hear you are experiencing pain. You are getting so close! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!