Thursday, September 3, 2009

Don't Raise My Hopes

Have you ever heard the story of the Shunammite woman whose son who was brought back to life in the Old Testament? It can be found in 2 Kings 4:8-37. I love the raw emotion of the woman when she blurts out: ""Did I ask you for a son, my lord?", she said, "Didn't I tell you, 'don't raise my hopes'?"".

Up until the point when I read that verse, I was feeling a little out of place for praying and asking God to not let me conceive again until He's ready for me to carry to full-term. Sometimes I just feel like I can't handle another loss, so perhaps it would be easier to just be "in-conceivable" than a "mis-carrier". But I can totally identify with that Shunammite woman from centuries ago. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has asked God to not raise my hopes.

This may seem out of place, but my blessing for today was the return of College Football. I realize that some might not consider this a "blessing", but I absolutely love College Football! This really is my favorite time of the year, and trust me--it brings me plenty of joy each week!

2 comments:

  1. Okay now I am going to read Kings :D What a great story!! I know exactly what you mean..I dread the pain like the plague!!! And I am trying to get into football, but don't understand it very well. Maybe I can learn some this season and know when to yell for my team. I guess I need to pick a team..hehe Any suggestions? Love you girly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sending you a hug.
    and I love football season, while I don't watch college ball, I do watch pro....and I love fall, i think it may be my favorite season :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think!