Saturday, September 12, 2009

Working Through the Weekend

You know that song "Working for the Weekend"?  Perhaps they should rewrite it for me as "Working Through the Weekend".  It's going to be a busy one.  I was up at 5:00 am this morning (even earlier than I do on regular work days) to prepare for a retreat that we are hosting for a group of first-year student leaders with which I work.  The retreat will be at our Associate Dean's house, and I had such a busy week that I wasn't able to fully prepare for it.  So I've been in the office for a couple of hours now, but feel like I'm mostly ready.  And I'm so thankful that our returning group of student leaders who act as the "mentors" are totally on top of things, so I can really rely on them to step up.

Luckily this retreat is just a one-day event, so I don't have to worry about coordinating any over-night activities.  But I am sad that I will miss most of the football games today.  Once this retreat is over, I'll need to help out tomorrow with hip-hop try-outs for a different student group that I advise.  I know nothing about hip-hop, but one of my students asked me to serve as the "faculty advisor" a couple of years ago, and I've stuck with it.  I totally admire their talent, and the try-outs are a lot of fun to watch.

My husband will be out of town this weekend with Army Reserve training, so at least I don't feel like I'm neglecting him.  He got up even earlier than me and then had a two hour drive, so I can't complain too much.  I still need to prepare for his birthday on Thursday, so perhaps I can muster up enough energy this weekend to do something nice for him.  Next week will be another long week at work, but my parents are coming to visit next weekend, and will stay with us for most of the following week.  So there is light on the horizon!

My blessing for today is the generosity of our Associate Dean.  It really is so impressive that she and her family will open up their home to 60 first-year students!  She has a great house, a huge lawn (a rarity in the desert), and such a caring heart to want to make this whole college experience a great opportunity for these students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think!